RIGHT NOW is actually the perfect opportunity to consider your future career or business.
As the coronavirus situation continues, and a likely recession is about to happen, some people may be determined to carry on in a job they don’t enjoy, purely to have ‘any job at all.’ While there is a certain logic to this, there’s also logic in exploring some alternatives...
Are you in the place that you want to be, doing the things you really want to do? If the world is going to change anyway, you may as well take charge of the change!
Our work life will change – as we adapt to a post-corona world, some things will have changed forever – there’ll be more online working opportunities, a greater flexibility to work from home, and in many industries, redundancies may be likely. For lots of people, the thought of losing their job is a terrifying one, but it can also provide a great opportunity for those of us who were considering a change anyway!
Here's some things that may have changed for you:
- Your job tasks, or way of working may have changed for the better and now fits better with your lifestyle – great! Continue working in this new way where possible – don’t rush to return to ‘how things were before’ if ‘how things are now’ suit you better
- You may no longer get from your job some things that were important to you (team working, social contact) or the tasks may have changed to something that you don’t enjoy (more spreadsheets, conference calls rather than face to face interaction etc)
- You may have discovered that working from home suits you and you’re not looking forward to going back to the office
- You may have discovered that working from home really doesn’t suit you at all, but now your company are encouraging it to continue. You’d rather be out of the house for your job (once lockdown allows)
As things change, it also brings some opportunities – here are just some of the ones I’ve thought about:
- As more services are being provided online, you now have access to a global market of customers that you may not have considered before
- The importance of Mental Health has really come to the forefront during the crisis, increasing the need for health and wellbeing providers, initially online, but this will soon be allowed to resume face to face.
- In absence of physical contact, there’s a big focus on sending small, locally made gifts to loved ones – perfect for crafty, arty businesses.
- There’s been a big surge in supporting local businesses, both locally-made products and local service providers that will likely continue after things move to a ‘new normal.’
- Redundancies are likely to happen – some will be forced, others may ask for voluntary redundancy – could this be an opportunity to get paid to leave the job you don’t enjoy and finally make the jump into what you really want to do? Sometimes all we need a little push in the right direction.
If you’ve ever considered changing career, swapping industry, or starting your own business, or shifting your business focus, now is the perfect time to give it some thought.
To help anyone who is in this position, I’m offering free 45-minute EXPLORE calls, where you can chat to someone neutral about your ideas (family and friends will often have their own agenda for what they think you should do!) and receive some free coaching to help you move your thinking forwards.
These calls are absolutely free, with no pressure or expectation to continue with coaching beyond the call. It’s a great opportunity to find out what coaching is and how it can help, without any risk.